At the beginning of the 20th century, the Curia area was still a depopulated area, consisting of agricultural fields, furrowed by small streams. The name Curia arose from the fact that, in the area, the traditional linen curing was carried out , which led to the site becoming known as Curaria, a word that, with the use, would have been contracted for Curia. However, other explanations are provided, including the possibility for the population to seek the waters for the treatment of certain ailments, with the Curaria coming from the verified Cures.
In 1863, a French engineer, named La Chapelle , who was part of the team of engineers and technicians who directed the railway works on the Northern line, such as Bartissol, Eiffel, Girard, Lariol, among others, will have successfully tested, by application of waters in the area, the treatment of the disease that he suffered.
The baths he took in these waters proved to be so effective, that the news started to be disseminated not only in Portugal but also in France where he was born.
From there, local people began to look for the area, bathing in a well of water, built for the purpose.
The initiative to take advantage of these waters conveniently came from the then medical student, Luíz Navega , who at the University of Coimbra had a relationship with Professor Charles Lepierre , at the time teaching at the Industrial School of Coimbra and renowned chemist, getting him to do a thorough study of the waters of Curia having appeared in 1897 the ´´Chemical Analysis of Mineral-Medicinal Waters of Curia´´, being the first work on these waters.
From that moment, the exploration of the waters was projected and, for that, with the participation of a group of notable locals, Sociedade das Águas da Curia, SA and the construction of the first spa, with statutes approved in February 24, 1900.
On December 31, 1902, the Company was granted the concession to explore the thermal springs of Curia, by royal charter signed by King D. Carlos.